What are PDO Threads?
The threads are medical grade absorbable sutures composed of polydioxanone (PDO).There are different types and shapes of threads which are used to provide different results.
After the threads have been inserted, it causes a healing response within the skin. This is because the threads leave ‘micro-injuries’ within the tissues, causing it to repair and heal itself with new tissue, containing more collagen and elastin. A thread lift is a type of procedure where temporary sutures are used to produce a visible “lift” in the skin.
After a few months, the PDO threads will be dissolved into the skin’s tissues. A new collagen and elastin will be left in their place, resulting in tighter and more youthful skin.
The PDO threads offer a number of specific benefits:
- Threads are naturally broken down within the body over 6-8 months, although the results naturally ‘wear off’ over around 12 months
- Excellent safety record – the same thread used in cardiac and other surgical sutures
- The principle behind PDO thread lifting is not simply about pulling the skin into a different position, but also to stimulate the body’s natural reaction to a ‘foreign body’ which is to produce collagen and improve blood circulation.
Benefits of PDO Threads:
- Naturally improves skin elasticity and texture
- Reduces wrinkles
- Brightens skin tone
- Produces more defined facial contours
- Rejuvenating and lifting effect
- Redefines facial features
- Addresses sagging/loose skin
There are very many different types of threads, some are made up of proteins and are thinner than a strand of hair and some are thick with have barbed structure.
Smooth threads are inserted superficially into numbed skin with a needle with very little or no downtime, clients can usually function as normal after this type of thread. These threads are placed in strategic locations around the face and neck in order to target common problem areas where the signs of aging become particularly apparent.
More advanced threads have barbed sutures, which are ideal for gathering skin (and therefore producing more lifting action) and straight or curved smooth sutures. These are usually placed near the hairline in order to gently pull back the skin and lift the cheeks and jowls. These treatments need time to settle and the lift might look and feel unnatural until it settles. Typically the first three days require less facial expressions which could restrict you socially. The treatment settles fully in 6 weeks and continues to improve up to 3 months.
Like with any aesthetic treatment, threads also pose risks that you should be aware off. The risks are extremely low in smooth threads.
- Temporary unevenness
- Skin lumpiness and dimpling
- Skin puckering (thread pulling is visible)
- Nerve damage
- Long term scar tissue
- Salivary gland injury
This treatment requires face to face consultation prior to booking
Have you got a question? Are you interested in a treatment?
Contact Forever Clinic Cheltenham today for more info or a consultation.
Book Online to secure your treatment
Secure your booking, simply and easily through the website.